Midrash is the Jewish practice where the Jews would discuss and reason together about the deeper meaning of the scriptures. Let us reason together. I named the Facebook group after this Hebrew word.
John 5:39 (NLT) says:
You search the Scriptures because you believe they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!
We need a spirit of revelation to open up our understanding so that we see Jesus in old covenant scriptures. They reveal Jesus in some intriguing and beautiful ways.
I use Blue Letter Bible and print out scripture with the Strong’s numbers shown. I then take an expanded Strong’s dictionary and study out the Hebrew words that catch my attention. I’ve listed the Strong’s numbers below (Hxxxx).
Take a look at this verse in Nehemiah 8:15 (NASB):
So they proclaimed and circulated a proclamation in all their cities and in Jerusalem, saying, “Go out to the hills, and bring olive branches and wild olive branches, myrtle branches, palm branches and branches of other leafy trees, to make booths, as it is written.”
The picture of building a booth is a wonderful picture of Christ being built in us. We are a spiritual house or Tabernacle in Jesus. Christ in us, the hope of glory. Do you see it in the text?
Here are some interesting words in the Hebrew text:
- Zayith (Olive) H2132; forms an oil for illumination and anointing when crushed.
- · Aleh (leaf – translated branches in the English text) H5929, leaf or leafage also means to ascend, or go up. We ascend to be with Christ, seated with Him in heavenly places. The leaves were for the healing of the nations.
- · Shemen (wild olive, pine in KJV which is incorrect) H8081, means fat, fatness, or the oil of anointing. The oil of anointing makes us fat spiritually. The anointing [fatness] breaks the yoke of bondage [makes our necks fat].
- · Hadac (myrtle) H1918, is where the Hebrew name Hadassa comes from meaning bride and joy. Hadassa was Esther’s Jewish name in scripture. We are the bride of Jesus and His joy is our strength. How about bride of joy as being part of the walls of our spiritual house?
- · Tamar (palm) H8558; is a symbol of righteousness (stands upright). We carry the righteousness of Christ in our spiritual houses as part of His righteousness being imputed to us.
- · Ets (tree) H6086, Jesus is the tree of life. We ascend in Him for life, love, and that which satisfies.
- · Ribowth (thick or other) H5687; actually is translated as intertwined. Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all intertwined and wrapped up in each other.
- · Cukkah (booth) H5521; this is a temporary tabernacle like our earthen vessels where the habitation of God is to dwell. Christ in us, the hope of glory.
If I were to paraphrase this somehow with some of the deeper meaning, I might try something like this as a deeper understanding of Nehemiah 8:15:
Make a declaration to the people of God that they are to ascend in Christ and be seated with me in heavenly places. Build up your spiritual house by pouring yourself out to demonstrate my love. Seek my anointing so that you will be spiritually rich. Seek my righteousness and be my Bride of Joy all wrapped up in me. I desire to make a habitation with you forever.